Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cloth wipes and more

Today is one of the days that I am grateful for cloth diapering. Josie (my 2 year old) has had diarrhea this morning. In a regular disposable diaper we would have had leaks galore, but thanks to a good cover (Thirsties Duo Wrap) and a properly folded prefold, we have had no leaks and a lot less laundry. :-) 

I am all for using cloth wipes. Since I have only recently started cloth diapering I had some (a lot) of open disposable wipes. So, after using all of those up we are now using cloth wipes. I have several types in my litte stash: homemade flannel wipes, baby washcloths (I have no idea on the brand), and Ikea kids washcloths. The homemade flannel wipes and the baby washcloths work great for not so messy messes, but the Ikea washcloths are for the dirty work. I store my wipes in a wooden box (it was something that I had around the house) along with my wipes solution and a bottle I can put warm water in if I need it.

 One reason I choose to use cloth wipes is how easy it is with cloth diapering. Instead of having to keep a trash can full of dirty stinky wipes near the diaper changing area, the cloth wipe just goes right into the cloth diaper bin along with the soiled diaper! Easy, simple, and straightforward. For storing my wipes solution I use a spray bottle I have in the house. After throughly cleaning it out it was ready to hold whatever I wanted to use for a wipe solution.

For my wipe solution this week I used a simple 3 ingredients that required no measuring and I had everything needed already in the house. I started by mostly filling my spray bottle with warm water, then I added a squirt of baby shampoo and a squirt of baby oil (I only had the gel kind in the house, so I am hoping this will work). I then gave my spray bottle a generous shake and it is ready for when I need it!



You can also, if you prefer, measure everything, put it in a mason jar and mix it that way. That is also very easy to do. Here is the recipe for the week in measurements:

Basic Wipe Solution

This basic recipe can be adapted by changing the type of soap or oil.
1/2 cup baby oil
1/2 cup baby wash
2 cups water


If you are having trouble deciding if you should use cloth wipes my recommendation would be to go out and buy wipes, or just use whatever baby washcloths you have around the house, and try it. If you can make your own wipe solution then it will possibly not cost you anything! I was able to find everything I needed around the house for cloth wipes, so it is a very cost effective choice for me.

Enjoy using this weeks wipe solution, and look back next week for another one!

~ Kym

Today's verse: Ecclesiastes 11:5

No comments:

Post a Comment