Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Starting Cloth Diapering

My personal goal with cloth diapering is finding a natural and cost effective solution for diapering two kids. 

Or that is what it started out as...

I now know way more about cloth diapering than I ever thought possible, and I have only been cloth diapering for a month! The biggest gap in cloth diapering that I have found is just simple information on how to and what to use for basic cloth diapering. So, that is what my hope is for this cloth diapering blog. I (Kym) get to tell you what I am finding out and what I have learned from doing cloth diapering with my girls, and you all can have a better understanding of what is available in the cloth diapering world.

For this post I will briefly explain what I have in my diaper stash, and how I use it. My stash is a basic starter stash with some used and some new diapers. I tried to cloth diaper when my older daughter was about 10 months old, and it just did not work. Between diaper rash from chemicals in my detergent and a poor diaper stash I was going crazy. Now that I have done more research, and have a better understanding of how cloth diapering works, I have changed my diaper stash to accomodate everything I personally am wanting out of cloth diapers. Here is a list of what I have in my stash right now for cloth diapering my two year old, Josie (I am still currently pregnant with my second daughter). 

4 BumGenius pocket diapers (these I bought used, I think they are 3.0)
3 Flip diaper covers
2 Thirsties Duo Wrap size 2 diaper covers
1 Thirsties Diaper cover size large
1 Bummis Super Brite diaper cover size large
15 Indian Cotton Prefolds
6 Flip stay dry inserts
2 toddler size Snappi's
1 Planet Wise pail liner
1 covered plastic trash can
Nellies All Natural Laundry Soda

As you can tell I have 3 different diaper types in here: pockets, prefolds with covers, and the Flip hybrid system. I use my pocket diapers only at night, I do not have diaper sprayer, so trying to get poo out of the cover for a pocket diaper is a little bit of a nightmare for me. Durring the day I use my prefolds with a cover, I go back and forth in-between using a snappi and just folding my prefold in the cover depending on what I am needing (I will talk more about that in a later post on prefolds). When I am out and about I use the Flip hybrid system with the stay dry insert, Flip does have a disposable insert, but I find it is just as simple to put the stay dry insert in and and once it is soiled put it in a plastic bag and then wash it when I get home. Right now I only have one diaper pail, and that sits in the bathroom for ease of cleaning up poo filled diapers. Nellies All Natural Laundry Soda is what I use for washing, and I have been very happy with that so far. I am wanting to further expand my diaper stash, but what I have right now works for what I need. Once my second daughter is born I will write another post on what I use to diaper her. :-)

Well my daughter Josie just woke up from her nap and I need to go put my cloth diaper laundry into the dryer. So, this is going to be all for today. Be sure and check back frequently as I will be posting lots of information on here every single week!

~ Kym

Verse of the Day: Ephesians 5:1-2

 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment